i made lasagna tonight, it's been a while since i've made one instead of buying frozen ones (going on 3 years?). i used loose country sausage instead of beef, but it turned out quite delicious. some time ago, J had told me how much he disliked ricotta cheese, but i used it anyway and he didn't seem to care...so it all went well! i'm sure everyone already knows how to make this dish...i'm going to share anyway.
Oven Ready Lasagna (straight from the box...with a little tweak!)
...this makes 9-12 servings...
1 package of oven ready lasagna
15 oz of ricotta cheese (it called for 30 oz)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese, divided (i only used about a fourth cup/what i had)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp dried basil
3 lbs bottle of spaghetti sauce (it called for 54 ounces...is that equal to 3 lbs?)
1 cup water
1 lb beef (country sausage in my case)
1. preheat over to 375.
2. combine ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, 1/4 cup Parmesan, eggs and basil in a medium bowl and mix well.
3. combine cooked meat, water, and spaghetti sauce in another container and mix well.
4. in a 9 x 13 pan, spread 1 1/2 cup of sauce to use a the base.
5. place 1/3 of noodles over sauce.
6. spread 1/3 of cheese mixture over the noodles and top with 1/2 of meat sauce.
7. repeat layering once.
8. top with the rest of the sauce and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
9. cover tightly with foil.
10. bake for 45 to 50 minutes and let stand for 10.