Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Coast to Cote: week 3

banner from our project

it's week 3 of our project. this week we added a some words to explain the photographs. we hope you enjoy!!

Coast to Cote: week 3

here's what i had to say about my photograph:

This photograph was taken at the famous Katz Delicatessen in the lower East Side of Manhattan. Going up to New York City last week, our friends took us there for a late dinner and promised some really scrumptious food. Upon entering, I noticed the salamis hanging from the ceiling in the front window. Right away, I knew I wanted a picture and it was perfect that J was standing right in front of all of them hanging in rows. I really liked how the neon sign is in the heart of the photograph illuminating the shot as well. When Lacey sent me her photograph, I knew I wanted to use this picture so as to tie the two shots together; the hanging pods from her shot and the salamis in mine. It's funny how side by side, they almost look the same.

Here's what Lacey had to say about her photograph:

I took this picture on the first warm day we have had since the cold of winter descended on Limoges. I was out walking along La Vienne with practically all the rest of Limoges (at least all the over 50s for sure) when I came upon these unfamiliar pods hanging from a tree on the bank. I spent most of the afternoon photographing the vegetation along the river which in general was sparse but almost budding in some cases. This particular shot I liked most for its composition and also for its cold drab winter tones but I liked that in the right corner where the sun is just peaking into the frame, a slightly warmer tone enters the equation. The optimist in me could consider it a future promise of spring.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So do you guys just send photos to each other and they sort of randomly paired up?

if so, this is a neat coincidence with the shape of the salamis and the shape of the tree seeds.

I really, really like this series. You guys should have a show. Also I cannot access the flickr link b/c im not allowed :(

Meaghan said...

Pang, you guys need a blog! This reminds me of a book I read while I was living in Switzerland. It was called Dear Exile and it was about friends separated by continents and oceans, who were both experiencing their own versions of stress and sadness. Not that either of you are experiencing that, but the commonality of the photos/feelings in two completely different worlds is what strikes me!

I love this series. Woo!

Pang said...

Martin - Lacey send me her photos and I pair them up with mind. There's usually one I've already picked one ahead of time to be paired with her's, but this week I used the salami picture because it mimicked her's. It was a nice coincidence that I had a picture similar to Lacey's. We have a few ideas floating around for a show actually, I guess we will see when she gets back. Thank you so much for the feedback!

Meaghan - I have been thinking about another blog, but we will see. I didn't know you lived in Switzerland...I might have to read that book.

Hello

My photo
Photographer, crafter, Boston Terrier enthusiast. Please feel free to say Hello.