for Christmas, i was in charge of bringing a dessert. i got a recipe for these really yummy, super chewy chocolate cookies from my boss, so i gave it a try.
Chewy Chocolate Cookies (from Cooks Illustrated)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
plus 1/2 cup for coating
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (i didn't have any, so i used bleached)
3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa poweder (i used Hershey's)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1 large egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1. preheat oven to 375 degrees. line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. place 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a shallow dish.
2. whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in medium bowl.
3. whisk corn syrup, egg white, and vanilla in small bowl.
4. in stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment (i used a hand mixer), beat butter, brown sugar, and 1/3 cup sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 2 mins). reduce speed to medium-low, add corn syrup mixture, and beat until fully incorporated (about 20 seconds), scraping bowl once with rubber spatula. with mixer at low, add flour mixture and chopped chocolate; mix until incorporated (30 seconds). give dough a final stir with spatula.
5. chill dough for 30 minutes.
6. divide dough into 16 equal portions; roll between hands into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. drop 8 dough balls into baking dish with sugar and toss to coat. place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
7. bake, make sure to turn the cookie sheet halfway through the baking process. cookies are done when puffed, cracked at the top, and edges have begun to set (about 10-11 minutes)
8. cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then move to cool on a wire rack.
...they turned out alright, but it wasn't like the ones my boss had made. her cookies were so much more delicious than mine! my cookies tasted a bit floury and weren't as chewy. i'm not sure if its the bleached flour or the hand mixer really...or was it because of me (i had to ask Lacey for help!). oh well...a lesson learned.